Thank you so much for being part of this Clear Blue Skies Project! Its going to be so nice to connect with you through the sky.
The overview is that this is a virtual and collaborative project with people around the world, to document the colour of the sky as the world goes through large social changes from dealing with coronavirus. The origin of this idea was a photo of the sky in London taken early March by a friend, who said the colour was so much clearer, and reminded her of when she was a child.
It seemed like a good starting point to document the sky in big cities and manufacturing centres around the world as global economic activity winds down for a while.
Also, though, I hope this project is a way to bring all of these locations together, through our shared sky, at this time when we need to remember our shared custodianship of this planet.
In this project I am looking for people in cities to take a photo of the sky once a week with their phone camera. It needs to be standardised so that the images can be compared over time, and the easiest way to do this is to follow these instructions:
Take photograph some time between 11 - 3 (ie not early morning or evening, so the colour is good).
Take the photos from the same place each time.
1. Take a photo of the sky approximately straight overhead. If cloudy try to find a place near this point where the sky is visible from clouds.
2. Take another photo at around 45 degrees from horizontal, and again, try to find a spot with clear sky.
3. Take a third photo at the horizontal. If possible, with a view towards the distance (eg along a street, over buildings etc), to give an idea of street activity.
Each time take this photo looking in the same direction.
4. Email, text, message or wechat (see below) the photos to me and I can upload them to the website.
5. Repeat weekly. Dont forget to set an alarm on your phone as a reminder…
6. If you would like me to add your name, single sentence bio and /or weblink in the ‘Collaborators’ page on the website, please send something to me.
If you know of other people in your city or other cities that would like to be collaborators please forward this to them!
Looking forward to seeing your skies.
email@example.com insta: @penelope.cain
messenger/facebook: Penelope Cain wechat: pencain
Penelope Cain, Sydney & London based interdisciplinary artist with a research science background.